Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Years Resolution - Blog More

Happy 2009 to all!

New Years Resolution. Blog more. My goal was to update this blog starting January 1 and enter something no matter how small at least 4 days a week. I was so excited to begin my journey as a writer (yes Cass has found her most creative outlet yet) All those plans got blown out of the water Christmas Eve when we somehow accidentally downloaded/accepted (without realizing it of course) a nasty little worm most people know as "Spywareguard 2008"on our home computer.

Can I just tell you about my dislike for this kind of infestation? It immediately attached itself to my Windows Security; made itself a nice little short cut on my desktop and started up every time I logged onto the Internet starting Christmas Day. At first it said it scanned my computer and found no risks. Every time it started up, I would decline purchase and go about my business on the Internet, but it kept popping up so often during my web surfing that I decided to go to my comcast.net security center and see why my spyware was not working. Of course by now it has been several days and has ample time to weave it's way all throughout my computer. I googled the name and found out it to be a foul little monster. I read up that I could try to uninstall - which I tried, and even though it looked like it was gone, it was not. Soon I had 3 shortcuts on my desktop and I was being informed I had 27 potential threats on my computer so I finally shut my computer down on the Saturday after Christmas and had a good cry.

The following Tuesday I brought my computer to work and asked a co-worker (our IT Guru) to take a look at it for me. He was happy to do so saying he could use the practice in case something made it's way into our network. I just want to take this time to shout out to JUSTIN SCOTT (same IT Guru) who has worked hard on trying to get rid of that which infests my computer, without wiping the hard drive and losing everything. All I can say is He's Rocksome! (My ten year old daughter lent me that term he Rocks + he's Awesome) Okay - I knew you got it, I shouldn't have spelled it out. Anyway he is so close to fixing this and I am soooo happy. See right now is the first time I have been able to log onto the Internet for fun since I brought in the computer for him to work on. I had to dig out an old computer that was stored in the closet, then found I had no keyboard to go with it. Do you know how hard it is to locate a Windows 98 serial keyboard? Well, once again, Justin came to my rescue and let me borrow one he had in storage. Again - He's Rocksome!

If any of you work with / know someone who takes the time to help you with your personal computer like he has helped me with mine - make sure you let them know just how much you appreciate them.

Justin the Fat Tire is coming as promised!

No comments: