Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What do I write about?

Last spring I found myself talking at work about dreams I had. Not the dreams-of-what-I- want-to-be-when-I-grow-up kind of dream, but the pictures-that-run-through-your-head-when-you-are-sleeping kind of dream.

These were a string of dreams I have like a "to be continued" television show. These dreams were in no way new to me, in fact I had similar dreams dating all the way back to my childhood. There might be weeks, months or even years between episode's of the "show in my head", but when the next dream came it was like the show was continuing, with maybe a blurb at the beginning of the next episode like 6 years later.... The dreams are always very vivid, and I enjoyed retelling the previous nights dream escapades to co-workers.

The nuts and bolts of the dreams had to do with lights in the sky, and visitations from outer space type beings (Sadly not Time Traveling Alien Vampires though). Anyway someone mentioned that the whole thing might make for a good written story, so I decided to write it down. Very excited was I to take on this new creative outlet. I happily set about putting my most recent dream on paper as I could not wait for glowing reviews from my co-workers. When I was done with that first evenings entries, I went about counting each word. Yep, you guessed it, by hand. Shouldn't even admit it, but at the time I was unaware that there was even such a thing as "proofing tools." Actually, I knew that there were proofing tools, but hadn't really needed anything other than spell checker.

Getting those first words on paper (into the computer, then printed on paper) was exhilarating. I could not believe how much I enjoyed it. Since that first night there has been times of not so much joy, but that is part of the journey right?

The dream story ended on a big cliffhanger this summer, and I have been waiting for the new season to begin. I guess you might say that the "show in my head" is still in production.

I'm working on another storyline right now, but willing to get back to the dream story when it is ready for me.

What do you write about?

No comments: